One of the greatest challenges facing marine scientists and conservationists today is finding innovative ways to reverse the rapid decline of coral reef ecosystems around the world. The Blue Project funds the development of innovative strategies and practices that help preserve and restore coral reefs. The initiative is managed by the Kerzner Marine Foundation, a private, not-for-profit organization and is implemented within The Bahamas via The Bahamas National Trust, The Nature Conservancy, and BREEF, along with the marine aquarist team from Atlantis, Paradise Island.
The objectives of the project are:
- Developing and implementing coral reef protection and restoration strategies
- Conducting ongoing coral reef research and monitoring
- Training Bahamians in coral reef research, monitoring, and management techniques
- Creating programs to heighten public awareness of reefs
- Developing and delivering reef education programs to communities and schools